Steps to wear reusable non-medical masks
It’s necessary to understand why a person is mandated to wear a cloth mask in public. According to Penni Watts, Ph.D., RN, an assistant professor of nursing at the UAB School of Nursing, “the purpose of wearing a cloth face mask is not to prevent you from getting the virus, but to protect other people from getting the virus from you. The mask protects others from your germs when you cough or sneeze.” He also added proper ways to help people avoid touching their faces when using reusable non-medical masks.
First, be sure that you have washed your hands with soap and water or applied an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. This will keep your hands off the dangerous virus from sticking with the mask. Second, tie the top straps first before the bottom ones when your mask has straps. Do not touch the mask again once it is tied. Check and make sure that the mask must cover your nose and your mouth. Do not wear it below your nose.
“If you feel it slipping, make sure you wash your hands again before you adjust it,” said Rachael Lee, M.D., an infectious disease physician at UAB.
“I have seen people wearing it below their noses, on their chins, on top of their heads. It needs to completely cover your mucosal area, which is your nose and your mouth,” Lee said.
“Do not touch the outside of the mask while wearing it, and try to avoid touching the outside when you remove it,” Watts said.
Wash and sanitize again your hands before you take your mask off. Always keep in mind which side was on the outside so that when you take the mask off, you should meticulously fold it to protect the side facing your mouth and nose.
After that, you can put it in a paper bag for storage until you wash it with soap and warm water. Wash your hands one more time after you put the mask away to keep you safe from the remaining particles.
According to the CDC, the mask should:
- Fit snugly, but comfortably against the side of the face.
- Have multiple layers of fabric.
- Allow for breathing without restriction.
- Be able to be laundered and machine-dried without damage or change to the shape.
- Be secured with ties or ear loops.
These features suggested by CDC are highlighted by our reusable non-medical masks at Bselfless. Our cloth masks are Resistant, Breathable, and Comfortable.
Our reusable masks have a 3-layer function:
- The middle layer is moisture resistant, reducing the spread of respiratory droplets.
- The inner layer is sweat absorbent.
- Outer layer blocks dust and exposure to the environment
- Slim yet effective by design.
- Non-woven fabric for filtration with excellent air-permeability.
- Lightweight and shaped to fit.
- 100% cotton lining for natural softness even for sensitive skin.
- Can be hand-washed and machine-washed.
Visit Bselfless to find the right fabric of reusable non-medical masks for you and your family. We deliver premium masks and continually donating to community groups and agencies in need by matching every mask purchased.